• Question
  • Soc Security benefits for divorced individuals

    Asked on 2/17/2012

    I am a financial advisor with the CFP® designation and am advising my 53 year old sister. She is divorced and was married over 10 years. Happily, she has a federal government defined benefit plan that will allow her to retire at 55. She has also saved on her own. As a life long federal government employee, she has never paid into Social Security and therefore has no Soc Security benefits coming. My question is, if her husband should die, can she make any claims for his Soc Security benefits despite the fact that she has not paid into Social Security? He has paid into Soc Security his entire working life.

  • Categories: Federal Employee Retirement System - FERS, Pensions and Retirement Benefits


  • NewRetirement User

    73 year old from Kent, WA

    Get a FREE phone consultation
    with an advisor. Learn more...
  • It looks like your sister can claim social security based on the earnings of her ex spouse when she turns 62, however her claim may be reduced by any amount she is receiving from her federal pension. She should probably talk directly with the social security administration.

    Some more resources are below:



    Good luck!

  • Login to rate this answer:   Answered on 2/23/2012
**All above answers are provided as general information only. No warranty is made regarding the fitness or accuracy of the information provided in this answer. You should seek advice from a licensed CPA, attorney or CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ as to your unique financial situation.