• Question
  • Continue from withdrawing from Social Security?

    Asked by a 76 year old man from Columbus, OH on 6/6/2012

    Should I continue withholdings from my Social Security Check once I quit working for the State of Ohio?

  • Categories: How Calculated?, Social Security


  • Editorial 


    San Francisco, CA

    Get a FREE phone consultation
    with an advisor. Learn more...
  • Good news! You will probably be able to receive your full Social Security amount once you stop working.

    I don't have enough information about your situation, but I am guessing that you started taking your Social Security retirement benefits early -- before your maximum retirement age -- and your benefits were therefore reduced.

    You can get Social Security retirement or survivors benefits and work at the same time. But, if you are younger than full retirement age and earn more than certain amounts, your benefits will be reduced. It is important to note, though, that these benefit reductions are not truly lost. Your benefit will be increased at your full retirement age to account for benefits withheld due to earlier earnings. (Spouses and survivors who receive benefits because they have minor or disabled children in their care do not receive increased benefits at full retirement age if benefits were withheld because of work.)

    Your best bet now would be to contact the Social Security Administration to sort out your situation.

    You can find phone numbers, addresses and online resources for helping you with Social Security here:

  • Login to rate this answer:   Answered on 6/6/2012
**All above answers are provided as general information only. No warranty is made regarding the fitness or accuracy of the information provided in this answer. You should seek advice from a licensed CPA, attorney or CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ as to your unique financial situation.